Substitute Teaching:

Those interested in substitute teaching need to hold a valid teaching certificate or substitute certificate, in order to be a substitute teacher in Illinois. A person holding a substitute certificate may teach only in place of a certified teacher under contract for a maximum of 90 school days in any single district in any single year. Anyone interested in obtaining a substitute certificate must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited 4-year institution.

Applicants for substitute teaching should go to the Regional Office of Education in Yorkville (109 W. Ridge Street in Yorkville) and go through the steps to get registered.

To obtain a Substitute Certification:

  1. Application for Teaching Certificate Form (available on ROE website or at the office)
  2. Registration form (obtained at ROE)
  3. Official transcripts, in a sealed envelope, identifying the completion of a 4-year degree from an accredited institution
  4. $50 check or cash.

New "Substitute Teaching Authorization" Requirements:

  1. An Illinois Teaching Certificate or Substitute Certificate registered in Grundy/Kendall County ROE
  2. Physical examination, within 90 days
  3. TB test, within 90 days
  4. $50 cash or check for fingerprinting fee
  5. Fingerprint Authorization and Release Form (obtained at ROE)
  6. Substitute Teacher Information Form (obtained at ROE).

Once you have completed these steps, you can bring the Substitute/Teaching Certificate and Substitute Teacher Authorization with attached fingerprint results to the Plano School District Office located at 800 S. Hale Street in Plano. You will fill out one simple form, and provide a copy of your driver license and social security card, and you will be all registered here.

Please check the list above to make sure you bring the correct items with you to begin the substitute process at the Regional Office of Education. Call 630/553-4168 with any questions.