Chromebook Care and use guide
The procedures, guidelines, and information within this section apply to all Chromebooks used at the District. Teachers may set additional requirements for use within their classrooms.
Taking Care of your Chromebook
Students are responsible for the general care of the Chromebook they have been issued by the school. Chromebooks that are broken or fail to work properly should be taken to the designated repair area in the school. Chromebooks should never be taken to an outside computer service for any type of repairs or maintenance.
- No food or beverages should be near your Chromebook.
- Cords, cables, and removable devices should be inserted carefully into the Chromebook.
- Chromebooks should not be exposed to extreme temperatures (hot or cold).
- Students should never carry their Chromebooks while the screen is open, unless directed to do so.
- Chromebooks should never be left in an unlocked vehicle or an unsupervised area.
The Chromebook screens can be damaged if subjected to rough treatment and are sensitive to excessive pressure.
- Do not lean on the top of the laptop when it is closed.
- Do not place anything on the keyboard before closing the lid (e.g. pens or pencils, flash drive, etc).
- Clean the screen with a soft, dry cloth or anti-static cloth. Do not use commercial glass cleaners.
Using your Chromebook at School
- Chromebooks are intended for use at school each day. Students are responsible for bringing their Chromebooks to all classes, unless advised otherwise by their teacher.
- Students are responsible for bringing their Chromebook charged and their chargers to school.
- Use of a laptop in school is subject to rules, procedures and instruction of school staff members.
Using your Chromebook at Home
- All students are required to take their device home each night throughout the school year.
- Chromebooks must be brought to school each day in a fully charged condition. Students are required to charge their Chromebooks each evening.
- First step - Contact the Plano Help Desk at 630-552-3178 x 7557. Please make an appointment for the Chrome Depot at Plano High School.
- The designated staff will then check out a loaner device through the barcode scan checkout system.
- The warranty service will pick up the Chromebooks needing repair and attempt to repair and return within 7-13 days (depending on the repair needed and pick up schedule).
- Once the student device is repaired, the device will be returned to the student via technician and the loaner will be received back into inventory.
- Students are responsible for the care of the loaner while it is in their possession and are subject to the same policy and procedure agreement signed for the original unit.
- Only school district personnel are authorized to troubleshoot, diagnose, or repair your borrowed device. Do not allow third party service people to handle your assigned Chromebook. This will void the warranty and you will be responsible for all damage associated with the device. Any attempt to alter the current configuration either physically or mechanically is strictly prohibited.
- Loss, theft, or damage of a device must be reported to school officials as soon as possible. School administrators and Technology staff will assess the situation and confirm costs to be assessed to the student/parent.
- The following prices are the estimated costs for replacement. Full cost replacement could be charged for the following: third accidental damage incident, misuse, neglect, intentional damage, lost/stolen device. Students/Parents could be billed for the actual cost of replacement.
Full Keyboard repair $60
Chromebook Screen $75
Chromebook Charger $45